Monday, April 28, 2014

Introducing My Homeschool Help


                  Do you homeschool? Do have an interest in doing so, but aren't sure it's for you? Do you have a friend who homeschools and you wonder what in the world that even looks like?  A 2012 survey by the U.S. Census Bureau found that homeschool children make up 1.5 million of American children (Anne Zeis, of A2Z Homeschooling).  As you may already know, I am a former public school educator and I plan on homeschooling my children. Homeschooling should not intimidate me. After all, I bravely taught years of children, methodically planned lessons, researched and developed professionally, implemented new ideas into my classroom, monitored, assessed and directed learning paths.  However, I find myself screaming, "HELP!" I know nothing about homeschooling. So, when one knows very little, she asks her best friend, of course.  So, without further a-due, I introduce to you my dear friend, Kristi, who does homeschool and has so graciously agreed to share in this endeavor with me:

                   “I don't do blogs.” is what claim.  They overwhelm me, they can make me feel inadequate and inferior.  A few years back, I started a little blog of my own just to remember little tidbits of my daily life with, at the time, two kids.  I've never been an avid follower of any other blog.  I never tried to bring up an audience on my own little web log of stories about my baby and toddler.  So, when asked me to join in a new adventure of blogging, I remembered my claim (see opening line for a reminder).  So, I felt a little hypocritical when I agreed to write a weekly post for this blog.  Oh well, life is full of fulfilling those things in which we stated we would never do...
Which brings me to homeschooling. I never thought I would do this, even after my first child was born.  I was a public school kid all my life until after graduation when I attended a small christian college.  Yet here I am, educating my two kiddos Mae (first grade) and Nate (Kindergarten) at home.  We school around a two year old bundle of blessings, Jake. 

Sometimes I am asked why I choose to home-school instead of private or public schooling.  The answer to this question evolves and grows day after day.  I almost can't remember the initial reason I started to home-school.  My husband, Jon, has always been an advocate for homeschooling.  He was home-schooled until middle school when he was sent to a public school.  He also had a year or two of experience in a private school.  He graduated as a homeschooler, so he had experienced it all.  I trusted his judgment, and I would've given up homeschooling at Kindergarten if he hadn't been the encouraging force I needed to keep going.  

It was a rough start, as I think many people experience when first home-school.  At first, we tried a curriculum that I despised and never completed.  I had read too many blogs about how great homeschooling is and read how everyone else has it all together.  We joined a co-op that we quit (for many reasons) after the first few weeks.  We had another baby who added his own opinion on how and when we did school.  Through all of this, one thing stuck in my mind.  That thing was that I will never regret spending more time with my kids. 

By having them at home, I will never wonder how many moments I missed with them, teaching them, watching them learn.  

We have finally found our niche...for now.  I'm still learning, at 32 years of age, that life is always changing.  We love our curriculum and our new home school community.  Jake's opinions on school are less invasive.  Plus, he is super excited about joining a mothers' morning out program in the fall!     
The next question I am usually asked is, “How do you do it?!”.  “By the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,” I answer with a slight chuckle.  

Let's just say I don't know how NOT to home-school.  Getting up at the wee hours of the morning, five days a week, and getting everyone out the door to go to school sounds much more intimating than homeschooling!  In my opinion, there is much more sacrifice involved in taking kids to school than keeping them home for school.  I am no saint or martyr for teaching my own children at home.  
I take a very stick-and-sand approach to education.  I could teach my children the same information, in the same manner as if I had to teach it with a stick on a deserted island.  It doesn't take worksheets, technology or lofty ideals from some blog.  Don't get me wrong, I find myself on blogs of all sorts.  I get lots of craft ideas and recipes from some great people who give a lot of  their time to post such things.  I just have to keep it in check. Even though I sometimes use these approaches, it's not essential.  Knowing this, takes a load off my back!  Those things which I teach that have the most meaning aren't even planned.

I love sharing so many teachable moments with my kids.  I can't speak from the other side since I've never not home-schooled the kids.  But from the prospective of homeschooling, I look back to so many random moments in our days, when they would normally be at school, that allow me to share in their growth and development.  These are the moments I want to write about, remember and re-read when they are grown.  I truly believe these moments are spirit led to draw my children and myself closer to His wisdom.

 There are so many other reasons that we home school our kids that I will get around to writing about... eventually.  A HUGE reason I educate at home is because God told me to.  He commands me to, “Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds...Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”  (Deuteronomy 11:17-18).  Of course, you can teach your kids the Word of God outside of the schoolhouse as do many of my friends whose children are in public or private school.  Since we have school at home, however, we have the opportunity to point everything back to God.  We glorify God as we learn more about history, geography, science, math, Latin and even English grammar.  
God, thank you for your creation and giving us a higher mind to discover and learn science.  Lord, thank you for creating order as we observe math in scripture (ordering the days, measurements of the ark, etc...).  We praise you, Lord, for your sovereignty and creating all the languages at the tower of babel.  As we study geography and history, we see your handiwork and know that there is no authority except from you, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. (Romans 13:1).  There is no school subject set aside for “bible” time.  The Word of God is woven through our entire day.  As a Christian, I am called to glorify God in all that I do.  In school, work and play I should bring glory to God.  I am so humbled and honored that the Lord has given me these children to raise for His glory.  We are just starting our homeschooling journey, but I've already learned so much and gone through so many doubts and affirmations about our decision to take this path.  I'm so thankful for the blessing and freedom to write about our journey as it comes and goes.  
Follow along with us!     
With sticks and sand- 
Kristi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking joy in encouraging others at home, at school and at play!