Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Building Project

"Except the LORD build a house, they labor in vain that build it." Psalm 127:1

Boy, is that true!  We're learning this all to well.  Maybe you can relate or know some one who is experiencing this too. Our terrible twos have carried into the three's. (Right now moms who are reading this are nodding their heads and chuckling to themselves).   Corey and I have read what seems like tons of books- don't get me wrong- helpful books they were. Just to rattle off a few:   The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson, Toddler Wise by the Ezzos, Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, several blogs, and let's not forget, the Bible. I have even written down all the verses I could find that dealt with parenting a child properly.
http://freshlychewedcrayons.blogspot.com/
 This is serious business- raising and training children. After all, they are gifts from God.  And it is quite trying when you're oh so tired and your little darling has another melt down over something you can't quite decipher. Whatever it was, it was important to him or her and you're finding yourself standing there wondering what the proper and calm way to handle it would be while imagining yourself having a meltdown too. Funny. haha. No really, I am laughing inside because I'm not currently hearing this tantrum from Ms. Naughty.  But we all know toddlers almost can't help it. It's their sin nature because we're all sinners and especially me. So, in that split second, I find myself wondering, "How am I supposed to train this child in the way of the LORD?"  Well, the answer simply is, I can't, but God can. My job is pray continually over my little darlings. Define continually- all day- whenever they are being difficult, challenging, sweet, nurturing, fun, amazing.  All the time, whenever I think to.  Once you make this a habit, it's easier and easier to do.  Then, I'm to trust that God will do HIS will and work in them through me. I sure am not equipped to do it. I mean, come on, I was just a camp counselor and teacher for most of my adult life. I was around kids all the stinking time. I should know how to raise my own kids right? HA! But here's the catch:  Psalm 127:1 reminds us that "except the LORD builds a house, they labor in vain that build it." No good work can come from me that will last, nor my husband. Only with our submission to the designer of families, can we know that our girls will turn out "right". 
LORD, help me today and every day to do what is pleasing to you. Work though me and help me be the mom you want me to be for my girls. I know I am the Jesus they see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking joy in encouraging others at home, at school and at play!